Brahmastra not only made huge splash in Indian market but busted lot of myths globally as film stood right on top worldwide during last weekend.
As per leading Hollywood publication, looking at the new titles in the mix, Dharma Productions and Star Studios’ Brahmastra Part One Shiva, which Disney is releasing overseas in India and the UK — had an offshore weekend of $19.5M in just those markets. When adding in sub-distributed hubs, that rises to $22.1M. Globally, the launch session was $26.5M including domestic.
From director-writer Ayan Mukerji, and billed as India’s first original cinematic universe, the movie stars Ranbir Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan and Alia Bhatt. It’s an ambitious proposition that didn’t really land with critics at home, but folks are turning up for the spectacle.
It had a No. 1 opening in India ($18.9M), the 10th biggest of all time in the market; and a No. 3 start in the UK at $600K.
The IMAX component was integral here with the film posting the No. 2 biggest global debut for an Indian title in the format ($2M) and the 8th best of any film in IMAX in India.
Following the top films worldwide last weekend:
1. Brahmastra Part One Shiva : 26.5 million $
2. Give Me Five : 21.50 million $
3. Confidential Assignment : 19.50 million $
4. Barbarian : 10.50 million $
5. Bullet Train : 8.95 million $
6. Minions Rise Of The Guru : 7.45 million $
7. Top Gun Maverick : 7 million $
8. D C League Of Super Pets : 5.5 million $
9. New Gods : 5.25 million $
10. Hero : 5 million $
Film was No 2 in USA with 5 million $ just behind another Fox Star release Barbarian. Film was no 3 in UK.